Mark Duerwaechter, District Administrator for the Kaukauna Area School District, was visited on August 23, 2012. The discussion focused on four areas concerning district policy; district expectations of new teachers; TPA and producing a student teacher video; and the following programs:
- The Add on Licensure Program extends the license of teachers. The program is individually tailored to help teachers or districts enhance their flexibility in curriculum areas.
- A new Principal Licensure Program is now available and is being offered in site-based cohorts or on-campus.
- The Educational Leadership Program has the flexibility for districts to choose course work that focuses on their district goals and initiatives. This course work could be made part of an individual Master’s of Science Degree for teachers in the district.
The following key points were also discussed during the visit:
- New teachers need a basic understanding of RTI, the Common Core Standards and how to assess students to improve learning. The district will provide new teachers with professional development to give them the knowledge they need to be successful teachers in the district.
- The uploading of a student teacher video from a district site to send to a site out of the district on the Internet is possible at this time. A letter would be sent home to allow parents to opt-out their students from being in the video when it is produced in their classroom. The district will have to look at their policies of operation to finalize involvement in this new requirement for student teaching.
- The district feels that the Add On Licensure is a good program to offer to districts. The district would not pay for teachers to extend their licensure.
- The use of an 18-week one-site student teacher/co-teacher placement for student teachers would be a more in-depth experience for student teachers. There must be a good student teacher/teacher match in order for the program to be successful. The district would not have a problem with being involved with this program.