Van Haren, Barbara, Ph.D.
Doctor of Philosophy University of Wisconsin-Madison 1999
Telephone: (920) 424-7227
Office: Nursing Education 410
Areas of Expertise:
- Special Education Leadership
- Individual Education Plans
- Inclusive Practices
- Effective Practices for All Learners
A native of Northeaster Wisconsin, I received my Bachelor's degree in Elementary Education/Learning Disabilities and my Master's degree in Special Education with an emphasis in Emotional/Behavioral Disabilities from the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh. I taught students with learning disabilities in grades 3-8 in my hometown of Oconto Falls, Wisconsin. I also served as their Special Education Coordinator for two years. I earned a Specialist Degree from the University of Wisconsin Superior and a Ph.D. from the University of Wisconsin Madison in Education Administration. I went on to become the Assistant Superintendent and Director of Employee/Pupil Services for the School District of Howard-Suamico in Green Bay, Wisconsin. I was the president of the Wisconsin Council of Administrator of Special Services and continue to serve as the chairperson of the Research/Special Projects committee.
I was ad hoc faculty for the University of Wisconsin Green Bay and taught three courses associated with the adaptive education minor. Throughout my career, I have conducted numerous training, workshops, and professional presentations at the local, state, and national levels on a variety of special education topics. I currently am an Assistant Professor of Special Education at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh and am serving as the co-president of The Arc Fox Cities.
Date of First Employment at UW Oshkosh: June 2002
Years of P-12 Experience: 19 years
Classes Typically Taught:
- Special Ed. 370: Teaching Experiences with Children and Youth with Disabilities (Sophomore Practicum Coordination)
- Special Ed. 470/670: Fundamentals of Special Education Assessment
- Special Ed. 471/671: Assessment for Instructional Planning
- Special Ed. 705: Administrative Organization, Collaboration, and Leadership in Special Education
- Special Ed. 790: Critical Analysis of Literature in Special Education
- Special Ed. 794/795: Field Report or Thesis in Special Education
- Service Careers 421/621: Education, Society, and Culture in Modern Greece