Internship Course Requirement
UW Oshkosh College of Business is the only accredited public college in the state to require an internship or co-op.
Students admitted to the College of Business are required to take BUSINESS 492 for 0 or 3 credits or BUSINESS 442 for 1 - 6 credits. Students must be admitted to the College of Business and have completed or be concurrently enrolled in BUSINESS 284 before taking this course. Pre-approval by the Professional Development Director is required.
What counts as a valid internship experience?
A valid experience is an internship or co-op that requires skills and knowledge obtained from College of Business courses. These experiences can be obtained through employment, volunteer activities or project-based opportunities. Your position should be similar to an entry-level position for a College of Business graduate and tied to your career goal and/or major.
- What advanced skills and knowledge are ESSENTIAL for this position? How will this position enhance my learning in College of Business coursework?
- What responsibilities of this position require advanced coursework at an institution of higher education?
- What will I learn or experience from this internship position that I haven't had the opportunity to learn or experience yet?
A professional experience could include the following roles:
- Employee training
- Responsibilities specific to major
- Research opportunities
- Projects specific to major
- Business to business sales
Positions that typically will NOT be considered a professional experience for a College of Business student:
- Customer service representative
- Bank teller
- Community adviser
- Point of sale representative
- Administrative assistant
- Sales floor personnel
- General laborer
Typical Internship Roles & Responsibilities
Examples of Past Internships
Wondering which companies are hiring interns? Visit the College of Business Featured Internships to find out!