What is Human Resource Management?
Human Resource majors help organizations manage employees. They learn to recruit employees, develop training programs, manage pay systems and benefit plans, motivate and reward desired behaviors and help set strategic direction. Human resource managers are at the heart of dynamic events and changes such as mergers, downsizing, entering international business and adopting quality management processes. They implement and often lead to cultural changes associated with these steps.
Human Resource Management at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
The Human Resource Management major is one of eight majors that comprise the College of Business at UW Oshkosh. Other majors include: Accounting, Economics, Finance, Information Systems, Marketing, Management, and Supply Chain Operations Management.
Our HR program is one of the few nationwide that covers all of the body of knowledge recommended by the Society for Human Resource Management, the largest international association of human resource professionals. The HR Major incorporates practical, applied learning through a variety of real-world class assignments and projects. To prepare students for a career in human resource management, our courses emphasize mastery of HR concepts, problem-solving, teamwork, and communication through individual and small group projects. The members of our faculty have applied experience and diverse expertise in areas such as mediation and facilitation, occupational safety and health, employee relations, survey design and implementation, data analysis, benefits administration, aging in the workforce, training and development, recruitment and selection, performance management, and strategic planning. Moreover, the HR faculty has a close connection with local and regional employers looking to hire Oshkosh graduates.
5 Core Classes (15 credits):
- MHR 382 Employee Relations
- MHR 383 HR Staffing and Planning
- MHR 384 Training and Development
- MHR 385 Occupational Safety and Health
- MHR 386 Compensation Management
- MHR 387 Benefits Administration
- MHR 388 HR Information and Metrics
- Human Resource core class titles and descriptions
- Earn an Emphasis: Recommended emphases for the HR Major
- Human Resources BBA Planning Sheet: Plan your classes
- Society for Human Resource Management: Get involved, network with professionals, and attend a meeting.