What is Information Systems?
The Information Systems (IS) major prepares students to create, deploy and manage information systems to integrate all aspects of a business. Coursework includes programming, systems analysis and design, database, networking, and electives such as mobile application development. Students can develop specialized skills based on their career interests by choosing among several emphases.
Information Systems at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh
One of the greatest strengths of the Information Systems program at UW-Oshkosh is the high degree of one-on-one engagement between students and faculty. The IS faculty is highly knowledgeable and focused on teaching skills that are relevant to practice. The department maintains a close connection with local and regional employers looking to hire Oshkosh graduates. This close connection with industry helps inform classroom instruction. The IS major is available to students fully admitted into the College of Business.
5 Core Classes (15 credits)
- INFO SYS 201Introduction to Business Application Development
- INFO SYS 314 Systems Analysis & Design (co enrollment in BUSINESS 311)
- INFO SYS 315 Database Systems (BUSINESS 311 w/C)
- INFO SYS 318 Agile Application Development in C# (INFO SYS 201w/C)
- INFO SYS 316 Network and Data Communications (BUSINESS 311 w/C)
Electives for IS Major without Emphasis (choose 3 courses)
- INFO SYS 445 Introduction to Enterprise Resource Planning Systems (BUSINESS 311 w/C)
- INFO SYS 481 Project Management (COB Admission AND Four Business Essentials courses)
- INFO SYS 432 Agile Web Design and Development (INFO SYS 315 , 318, AND INFO SYS 316)
- INFO SYS 446 Enterprise Resource Planning Systems Configuration and Implementation (INFO SYS 445)
- INFO SYS 433 Mobile Application Development (INFO SYS 432)
- BUSINESS 417 Information Systems Strategy and Management (COB Admission AND at least co-enrollment in Business 311, BUSINESS 351, BUSINESS 361, BUSINESS 320, BUSINESS 331, BUSINESS 341, BUSINESS 371, AND (Business 442 OR Business 492)).