UW Oshkosh College of Business is the only public college in the state to require professional experience.
Students admitted to the College of Business are required to take BUS 492 for 0 or 3 credits or BUS 442 for 1 - 6 credits. Students must be admitted to the College of Business and have completed or be concurrently enrolled in BUS 384 before taking this course. Pre-approval by the Professional Development Director is required.
What counts as a valid internship experience?
A valid experience is an internship or co-op that requires skills and knowledge obtained from College of Business courses. These experiences can be obtained through employment, volunteer activities or project-based opportunities. Your position should be similar to an entry-level position for a College of Business graduate and tied to your career goal and/or major.
- What advanced skills and knowledge are ESSENTIAL for this position? How will this position enhance my learning in College of Business coursework?
- What responsibilities of this position required advance coursework at an institution of higher education?
- What will I learn or experience from this internship position that I haven't had the opportunity to learn or experience yet?
A professional experience could include the following roles:
- Employee training
- Responsibilities specific to major
- Research opportunities
- Projects specific to major
- Business to business sales
Positions that typically will NOT be considered a professional experience for a College of Business student:
- Customer service representative
- Bank teller
- Community adviser
- Point of sale representative
- Administrative assistant
- Sales floor personnel
- General laborer
Typical Internship Roles & Responsibilities
Examples of Past Internships
Wondering which companies are hiring interns? Visit the College of Business blog to find out!
Need to contact the Professional Development Office?
Professional Development Director
UW Oshkosh College of Business
Office: Sage Hall, Suite 1608
Tuesdays 9:00-11:00 AM
Wednesdays 3:00-4:30 PM
Our office is open 7:45-4:30. Tuesday evening appointments are available by request.
Student appointments can be made by calling (920) 424-0297.