Experiential Abuse and Neglect Prevention Training
Barbara Blue Scenario Overview
This case occurs in Blue Hills Assisted Living Facility. Barbara Blue is a 72-year-old resident who is in a single room. She has been here for a few days following surgery for ovarian cancer. She has been married to Steven Blue for 48 years. She needs assistance with bathing, dressing changes, transferring, toileting, and medication. The facility staff, family, and friends are concerned that Mr. Blue is being verbally abusive to his wife. He tells her that she should come home NOW to take care of his needs.
The doctor believes Barbara must remain in the facility for at least a few weeks before she will be healthy enough to go home; and only then if she will have someone who can care for her and not expect her to be doing housework or cooking.
Scenario Learning Points:
- Recognize the signs and symptoms of domestic violence in later life.
- Understand how and where to report abuse by resident’s family member.
- Understand how to protect victim from continuing abuse.
- Respect resident’s right to make her own decisions.
- Barbara Blue, a CBRF resident (PDF, 93 KB)
- Reverend Marvin Mitchell, Minister (PDF, 98 KB)
- Jamie O’Connor, CNA in CBRF (PDF, 99 KB)
- Dennis Blue, Barbara and Steven’s son (PDF, 79 KB)
- Sonia Solomon, CBRF social worker (PDF, 112 KB)
- Kelly Anderson, CBRF supervisor (PDF, 79 KB)
- Lucy Blue, Dennis’s wife (optional) (PDF, 79 KB)
- Ron Records, Documentation Specialist (optional) (PDF, 73 KB)
Go back to Experiential Training Page