Check out these Career Services podcasts for helpful tips and hints to building a resume:
Follow these tips and your resume will be on its way to making a great statement about you to any potential employers.
- A resume needs to be readable. Make it clear with an easy to read font.
- Envelopes matter. Don't send your resume in your current employer's envelope or use metered postage from your current employer. This just tells the next company that you will use their resources for your personal mail.
- Keep your resume free from poor grammar and typing mistakes. When you make a mistake on your resume, it shows a lack of attention to detail.
- Don't make it difficult for the employer to contact you. If you list only a home telephone number - and you are never home during business hours – they can't schedule an interview.
- Customize your "objective" for each employer and position. Read the job posting carefully and make your objective match what they are looking for in an employee.
- For each past employer, highlight your key achievements, not a list of your job duties.
- Completely list your education dates along with any degrees you completed.
- Don't forget to include any awards or recognitions you have received.
*Resume advice is based on nationwide best practices and on employer feedback.
Visit Resume Drop-ins
Tuesdays, Wednesdays, & Thursdays
11 a.m. - 1 p.m.
*when classes are in session
Resume Drop-ins Info & Tips:
- First come, first served (call to check on wait times)
- Bring a draft or working document (look at resume samples online)
- Make an appt. with your advisor if you can not attend drop-ins and need assistance 920-424-2181