Before the interview
Interview Preparation - Research the employer and Practice, Practice, Practice Put your best foot forward! During an interview you must be able to sell your skills and abilities to a potential employer. The interview is a twoway process. Employers assess you as a complete person and gauge whether or not you will be a good fit for their organization. In turn, you have an opportunity to witness firsthand the culture of the organization and assess if the company is a good fit for you.
How well you have researched the company is a critical factor employers use in evaluating applicants as it demonstrates interest and enthusiasm. Research enables you to determine position fit more accurately.
- The company - History, mission statement, potential growth, restructuring, annual sales, organizational structure, ownership, location(s), funding, etc.
- The “fit" - Corporate culture and management style, benefits, stakeholder opinions, opportunity for growth
- The industry - Trends, challenges, and opportunities
- Your needs and goals How to Research
- Visit company/organization web sites
- Use search engines: Google Alerts, Google, Yahoo
- Search contacts and employers in Titan Jobs
- Tap your network: Professors and LinkedIn
- Follow organization pages on LinkedIn and Facebook
- Identify key stakeholders: talk to employees, customers, clients and suppliers
- Conduct informational interviews (see pages 89) with individuals in the filed/industry Prepare
- Review your resume and the job posting/position description
- Prepare your elevator pitch (see page 54)
- Know your skills, qualities, strengths and stories
- Use the SCROL technique (see page 17) to develop stories/situations where you have excelled in class, at an internship or previous employment experience or with a student organization
- Create a list of five key qualities/strengths/ traits that qualify you for the position
- List your points of pride and strengths
- Prepare questions for employer based on your further interest in the organization or position
- Believe in yourself
Company Research Worksheet - this resource will help you conduct appropriate research to adequately prepare you to impress your interviewer.