Once you have an internship, there are a few survival tips to get the most out of the experience. Learn more about what you can do to enhance your new opportunities.
Internship Survival Tips
- Learn as much as you can about the organization.
- Keep a weekly journal of your experience (i.e. activities and projects).
- Sit down with your supervisor and establish mutually agreed-upon goals so you know what is expected of you.
- Become familiar with all technology used.
- Develop positive traits (i.e. punctuality, dependability).
- Don't be afraid to ask a lot of questions and be sure to follow the rules and regulations.
- Understand that some general office work is part of the job.
- Introduce new ideas gradually and avoid trying to change too much too soon.
- Ask for more responsibility and actively look for things to do.
- Network! Build bridges with the people who are doing what you think you would like to do in the future. They may be able to help you in your current position or lead to contacts for future opportunities.
- Become familiar with other interns in the office. Provide a support group for each other and develop friendships. (This will help you when your internship is far away from your normal activities.)