The minimum requirement for CAPP adjunct approval is a Master's degree. Additional CAPP adjunct requirements vary by department and the CAPP office is currently updating this page. If you do not see your department listed, please contact our office with any questions regarding adjunct requirements.
Requirements for an art adjunct include a Master's degree in a relevant field, such as Fine Art, Art Education, or Education, as well as a quality studio background.
Other factors considered but not required are recommendation from art education faculty and previous college-level teaching experience.
A Master's degree in any Biological Science is strongly preferred. A Master's degree in another field is considered with course-work in biological science, chemistry, math, and statistics.
Prospective adjuncts must have at least two years of experience teaching at a high school level, including at least one year of teaching advanced biology.
Prior to approval, the Biology/Microbiology Liaison will have at least one face-to-face meeting with the prospective adjunct at their high school to assess available laboratory facilities.
Management & Human Resources (Business 198): Requirements for an adjunct to teach Business 198 include a Master's degree, preferably in a related field, as well as graduate or undergraduate coursework in a variety of business-related areas such as:
- information systems
- human resources
- supply chain management
Additionally, some experience working in business is desirable but not required.
Finance & Business Law (Business 231): Requirements to teach Business 231 include a Master's degree with graduate or undergraduate coursework covering business and/or business related courses. Previous experience working in business and/or teaching business education is desirable.
Requirements for a chemistry adjunct include a Master's degree in one of the following:
Considerations are also made when prospective adjuncts hold a Master's degree in another science or engineering field with sufficient coursework or experience to ensure adequate knowledge of chemistry.
A Master's degree in a field other than any of the above is only acceptable with sufficient work experience in the Chemistry field equivalent to a Master's Degree in Chemistry.
For more information, visit the UW Oshkosh department of chemistry website.
A Master's degree in speech communication, education, or a related field with significant teaching experience in speech communication is required. Prospective adjuncts also must, within the last 5 years, have experience in teaching speech or public speaking OR have taken course work in the speech communication area.
CAPP adjuncts wishing to teach computer science must hold one of the following:
- A Master's degree in Computer Science or closely related field (such as Software Engineering, Management Information Systems, Mathematics, Physics
- An undergraduate degree in Computer Science (major or minor) and a Master's degree in Education
A Master's degree in Economics is preferred for an economics adjunct, though if a Master's degree is held in a different field, a certificate in Economics with intermediate-level coursework, or an undergraduate major or minor is Economics will also be considered.
An adjunct may still be qualified to teach Economics without the above educational requirements following the completion of the following courses:
- Principles of Microeconomics
- Principles of Macroeconomics
- One pre-approved intermediate-level course in economics
Courses must total a minimum of 9 credits, and each course must completed with a minimum grade of C.
Adjuncts must also show evidence of quality teaching of a previous course containing significant economic content.
- Significant graduate-level course work in rhetoric and composition (See Department policy - if you have a Master's, but not all coursework - apply! CAPP offers scholarships!)
- At least three years teaching experience, one of which involves seniors
- Commitment to continuous learning
- M.A. in English or M.S. in an affiliated field with relevant graduate coursework in English
- Training and experience as writing teachers
- Five years teaching experience, some of which involve teaching seniors
- At least six months staff development prior to offering course
For more information, visit the UW Oshkosh Department of English website.
Prospective adjuncts may apply to teach French, German, Japanese, or Spanish through the CAP Program. Requirements for all Foreign Languages are as follows:
- Master's degree in the language to be taught, or related discipline
- If a Master's degree is held in a related discipline, then undergraduate and graduate transcripts will undergo careful review of coursework in the language to be taught.
- Interview with the UW Oshkosh liaison faculty member following application to CAPP in order to verify proficiency in the language to be taught. This may be by phone, in person on campus, or at the high school. High school interviews may include classroom observation.
A Master's degree in Physical Education, Health Education, or related field is required. Prospective adjuncts must also hold current certifications if necessary (e.g. CPR certification).
Other factors considered include previous college-level teaching experience and on-site visits conducted by the CAPP liaison.
A Master's degree in History is required, specifically with emphasis on European or World History.
The department may also ask for a statement of teaching philosophy.
A Master's degree in Kinesiology or a closely related field is required. Prospective adjuncts must also show evidence of quality teaching of a course containing substantial exercise science content.
A Master's degree in Mathematics, Mathematics Education, Statistics, or a related field is required. An excellent teaching record is also necessary for consideration.
A Master's degree is required, preferably in music, as well as sufficient knowledge and experience as determined by the department.
A Master's degree in Philosophy is required. Prospective adjuncts must also submit a syllabus for the course for which they are applying to teach.
Physics and Astronomy
A Master's degree in Political Science is required. Other factors taken into consideration are other courses or professional development related to the course, other degrees held, or prior success in teaching a similar course.
A Master's degree is required for all CAPP adjunct faculty. The Psychology department requires that prospective adjuncts have taken graduate or undergraduate courses covering a variety of related topics such as:
- Introductory Psychology
- Abnormal Psychology
- Developmental Psychology
- Social Psychology
- Cognitive Psychology
Prospective adjuncts must also attend at least a 3-hour lecture series covering statistics and methodology in psychology at a university level, preferably through UW Oshkosh.
A Master's degree in a media-related discipline is strongly preferred. Disciplines may include Radio/TV/Film, media studies, digital media, media production, broadcast news, or other similar areas.
Prospective adjunct with a Master's degree in a different field will also be considered if their CV or resume reflects substantial professional media experience.
RTF adjuncts are expected to show proficiency working with media technology, procedures, and workflows as currently employed by professionals in the industry.
A Master's degree in Sociology is preferred, though a postgraduate degree in a related field and/or undergraduate sociology coursework (sociology major or minor preferred) will also be considered.
Experience teaching sociology is also preferred.
Adjuncts seeking to teach sociology must submit a draft syllabus of the prospective class at the time of application.
A Master's degree in Theatre is preferred though the following are also considered:
- Undergraduate major or minor in Theatre
- Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction Theatre Teacher Certificate - License 325
- Equivalent Theatre education and/or experience as deemed appropriate by the Theatre Department
Evidence of quality teaching of a course containing substantial theatre content is also desired.