The group of students making up this organization shall be officially known
as the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Chapter of Beta Alpha Psi (Hereinafter
referred to as "UW Oshkosh BAP").
- Appropriate recognition of sponsorship, whether verbal or written, shall
be done solely at the discretion of the current Executive Board (as
established in Section VI), and shall not be dictated by current or future
sponsors, regardless of the manner, amount, or type of sponsorship provided.
Section II - Constitution
Any bylaw, or future amendment to the bylaws, shall be consistent with the
Constitution and Bylaws governing the national and professional accounting
fraternity known as Beta Alpha Psi.
- In any and all instances in which a conflict arises between the National
Constitution and these bylaws or future amendment to such bylaws, the National
Constitution and Bylaws shall supersede the bylaw in question.
- If at any time a member of the UW Oshkosh BAP believes a new or existing
bylaw to be in conflict with the best interest of the organization, he or she
may petition to have the said bylaw amended or stricken by following the
procedure enumerated in Section VIII.
Section III - Objectives of the Student Chapter
The Objectives of the UW Oshkosh BAP shall be as follows:
- To further the purpose and objectives of the Beta Alpha Psi fraternity.
- To promote and facilitate cooperation and communication between student
members and accounting professionals in the area.
- To conduct, sponsor, and participate in such activities as it deems
necessary or desirable in accomplishing the foregoing purposes of the
- To sustain its membership annually by organizing and conducting an annual
- To provide ample opportunity for members to develop leadership skills by
participating in the planning and execution of its activities.
- No part of this student chapter shall consist of carrying on propaganda or
otherwise attempting to influence legislation, or of participating in or
intervening in any political campaign on behalf of any candidate for public
Section IV - Membership
The membership of the UW Oshkosh BAP shall be selected from accounting majors
at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh who wish to become a member, and pledge
to take part in chapter activities that help to accomplish the objectives of the
- All members must maintain at least part time status as determined by the
policies of the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
- Membership in the fraternity shall be limited to those persons of
good moral character who have achieved scholastic and/or professional
excellence in the field of accounting, who have been initiated, and who are in
- Eligibility for membership shall be determined by the criteria set forth
in Article IV of the National Bylaws.
- In addition to the criteria set forth in Article IV of the National
Bylaws, the UW Oshkosh BAP shall require all pledges to take an active role in
Beta Alpha Psi activities for one semester prior to being initiated.
- The UW Oshkosh BAP reserves the right under Section 5 of Article IV of
the National Bylaws to restrict membership to those students who meet or
exceed a predetermined level of participation as set by the UW Oshkosh BAP
Section V - Initiation Ceremony
An Initiation Ceremony shall take place at least one time each academic year,
and shall follow the initiation ritual as set forth by the National Chapter.
- Initiation in absentia will not be permitted under any circumstances.
- Initiation shall take place at one of the scheduled formal meetings.
Section VI - Officers
The Officers of the UW Oshkosh BAP shall make up the Executive Board for the
organization, which is the designated rule making body for the
- The officers shall be elected by popular vote of the members in good
standing of the UW Oshkosh BAP.
1) Elected offices should include, but are not limited to:
- Database Coordinator
2) Any UW Oshkosh BAP member in good standing may run for an office.
3) Absentee voting is allowed for all regular and special elections.
4) Voting by proxy shall not be allowed under any circumstances.
- The above list represents the established hierarchy of power to be
followed in the event of absence of an elected official.
- Any vacancy created by resignation, expulsion, or other removal from
office shall be filled by an interim appointment made by the President and
approved by a 50% majority of the remaining officers.
- In the event of resignation, expulsion, or other removal of the
President, the Reporter shall assume the duties of the President, and shall
be responsible for the appointment of a new Reporter, to be approved by a
50% majority of the remaining officers at a special election meeting.
- All UW Oshkosh BAP members shall be personally notified of any special
election at least ten business days prior to the day of the election.
- Special elections must be scheduled on a day in which the University of
Wisconsin Oshkosh is in session.
C. Any UW Oshkosh BAP member may request the removal of an officer, and thus
allow the President to appoint an interim officer in their place provided he or
she does the following:
- Obtain 50% of the signatures of current the UW Oshkosh BAP members in good
standing on a petition to remove the said person from office, and
- Obtain a two-thirds majority of all elected officers in favor of removal
- The officer in question is allowed to vote on his/her behalf.
- One petition can be used to request the removal of no more than one
- The petition cannot include requests for anything other than the removal
of the stated officer.
- The most current list of all UW Oshkosh BAP members shall be provided in
its entirety (meant to include a full name and phone number, but not an
address) to any member wishing to view it.
- Any officer will be automatically removed from office and replaced by an
interim appointment made by the President (subject to approval by 50% of the
remaining officers) if the officer fails to enroll at least part time before
the first day of classes at the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh.
- An appeal for reinstatement can be made to the UW Oshkosh BAP Executive
Board by the removed officer if he or she has proof of proper enrollment
- A two-thirds majority vote by all elected officers is necessary for
- The officer in question may vote on his or her behalf.
- The Executive Board shall meet one time each month at a minimum, summer
- The Executive Board shall be responsible for the management of the
UW Oshkosh BAP, including planning, coordinating, and conducting its
operations and activities, reviewing and taking action on recommendations
submitted, and any other business pertaining to the UW Oshkosh BAP.
- Each office enumerated in Section VI A.1) shall assume duties promulgated
by the current President and past officers of that specific office. This list
of duties shall be updated each semester to reflect changes in the
organization and the office.
- It is the responsibility of each officer to make sure his/her predecessor
transmits an updated list of the duties he/she is responsible for during the
term in office.
- The offices enumerated in Section VI A.1) shall have a term length of 6
months; either January 1 through June 30 or July 1 through December 31.
Section VII - Finances
The financial affairs of the UW Oshkosh BAP shall be conducted by its
Executive Board in a manner agreed upon by the Board in consultation with the
- Funds for the treasury may be enhanced by contributions from any person or
business wishing to sponsor a specific activity, or by money-raising
activities approved by the UW Oshkosh BAP Executive Board.
- The UW Oshkosh BAP shall have a fiscal year ending April 30.
- All other financial matters shall be governed by the rules set forth in
Article XIV and Article XVI of the National Chapter Bylaws.
Section VIII - Amendments to the Bylaws
If at any time in the future the need arises, an amendment to the bylaws can
be accomplished as follows:
- Any UW Oshkosh BAP member can present the Executive Board with the
- The Board can initially approve the amendment through a two-thirds
- Upon approval, the amendment shall be voted on by all UW Oshkosh BAP
members in good standing at the next official meeting in which a quorum (50%
or more of the elected officers) is achieved.
- A special meeting may be called to vote on an amendment if every member is
notified at least 10 business days in advance of the meeting.
- A vote of greater than two thirds of the members in attendance in favor
constitutes acceptance of the proposal as an official bylaw.
- In the case that a two-thirds majority is not achieved when the amendment
is proposed to the Board, the member proposing the change can directly
petition the UW Oshkosh BAP members in good standing.
- A 75% majority of all student membersí signatures is required on a
petition stating that they are in favor of the amendment.
- At this point the amendment shall revert to the rules enumerated in
Section VIII C. for final debate and approval.
- Amendments to the bylaws that become official should be signed and dated
by the President, and added sequentially to the original bylaws.
Section IX - Revocation of Charter
The National Board may place this chapter on probation for failure to comply
with the National Constitution and Bylaws. To avoid revocation of the chapter
charter, the UW Oshkosh BAP shall comply with the conditions set forth in
Article XIX of the National Bylaws.
Section X - Authority
These Bylaws shall be the principal governing document of the University of
Wisconsin Oshkosh Chapter of Beta Alpha Psi.