Welcome to the Art Department
The University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Art Department is committed to the mission of the University and the mission of the UW System. The specific objectives of the unified areas of the Art Department are:
- To provide a curriculum grounded in the pursuit of a liberal arts education;
- To instill in our students an inclusive and broad understanding of how they may interact with the professional art world as practitioners, educators, supporters and leaders;
- To provide a curriculum that offers the non-art major the opportunity to achieve a rich appreciation and understanding of the vital role that art plays and has played in human culture;
- To offer a variety of art programs to the University and the surrounding community;
- To provide a quality education in art by recruiting and retaining a diverse faculty and staff of excellent teachers, dedicated to the pursuit of their creative work, research and community outreach;
- To develop and maintain modern facilities and technologies that foster a keen learning environment.
!!! New BFA emphasis – Interdisciplinary Media Arts (IMA) !!!
The Art Department is offering new courses that combine art & design with technology as part of the Interdisciplinary Media Arts (IMA) studio area. These courses are perfect for students interested in fields such as interactive art, animation, independent game design, wearable technology, rapid prototyping, and more.
BFA majors may choose IMA as their emphasis to get focused experience with digital media or take individual courses as electives to complement their area of study. Students in other departments and majors throughout the university can expand their skills with IMA courses through an Art minor or with instructor permission.