Why Minor in African American Studies?
Because in the 21st century one needs to be able to:
- Think critically
- Think conceptually
- Think with imagination
- Think with the global community in mind
- Think, understanding a diverse range of cultural points of view
- Think competitively
Because in the 21st century in order to negotiate a wide range of competing ideas and function well within a diverse workforce, one must also know:
- About the United States’ origins and histories
- About economics and labor histories in the United States
- About the evolution of the arts in the United States
- About the political systems of the United States, and as they relate to the rest of the world
- About the judicial systems of and social justice in the United States
- About the environmental status of the United States
- About the sciences in the United States. And so much more.
Problem-solving skills honed in AAS core courses for the Minor, coupled with a major disciplinary study area of your choice, will make you a prime candidate for success on any career path you choose.