Complaints and Grievances
UW Oshkosh has an established system of complaint and grievance procedures to address complaints of alleged discrimination based on any protected status such as race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age or disability. Employees are encouraged to resolve complaints informally by working with the relevant parties and administrators; alternatively, they may elect to use the complaint or grievance procedures listed below to initiate an investigation and review.
A complaint focuses upon the alleged misconduct of another and seeks punishment for the offender. A grievance focuses upon the alleged effects experienced by the grievant (perceived unfair treatment or violation of rights or in general unsatisfactory working conditions) and seeks relief for the grievant.
For complaints or grievances, please contact the UW Oshkosh Affirmative Action Director by calling (920) 424-2296.
- Complaint Procedures
This Affirmative Action Policy plus others in the UW Oshkosh Faculty and Academic Staff Handbook address harassment and discrimination in all forms, covering those with legally protected status for reasons of ethnicity, gender, gender identity, religion, age, national origin, ancestry, disability, sexual orientation, or other reasons.
These policies apply to all faculty, staff, and students with respect to activities occurring on any University property and University-related activities occurring off-campus. They also apply to the activities of recognized student organizations including fraternities and sororities. The University will not tolerate harassment of its faculty, staff, or students by persons conducting business with or visiting the University, even though such persons are not directly affiliated with the University.
Harassment is conduct towards another person or identifiable group of persons that has the purpose or effect of:
1. Creating an intimidating or hostile educational environment, work environment, or environment for participation in a University activity;
2. Unreasonably interfering with a person’s educational environment, work environment, or environment for participation in a University activity; or
3. Unreasonably affecting a person’s educational or work opportunities or participation in a University activity.
These policies seek to encourage faculty, staff, and students to report and address incidents of harassment. Retaliation against faculty members, staff members, or students for reporting or complaining of harassment or enforcing these policies is strictly prohibited. Overt or covert acts of reprisal, interference, restraint, penalty, discrimination, intimidation, or harassment against an individual or group for exercising rights under these policies will be subject to appropriate and prompt disciplinary or remedial action.
Persons who believe they have experienced or witnessed discrimination or harassment under any of these policies are encouraged to report the incident promptly to the Equity & Affirmative Action Director to file an informal or formal complaint according to the following processes:
1. Informal Complaint Procedures: The informal procedure typically seeks acceptable mediation or resolution of the complaint between the parties involved. During the informal discussion and investigation of such a complaint by the Equity & Affirmative Action Director, emphasis is placed on the resolution of the matter as quickly as possible, at the lowest level possible, and with the fewest number of people. Resolution sought will be after consultation with the complainant.
2. Formal Complaint Procedures: Formal complaints or expressions of concern about possible harassment or discrimination may be pursued consistent with other University rules and procedures, as noted below:
(a) Complaints against students are outlined in Chapter 17 of the Wisconsin Administrative Code administered by the Dean of Students Office.
(b) Complaints against faculty may be presented to the Chancellor as outlined in the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Faculty Personnel Rules, Chapter Nine, Part B, Faculty Complaints.
(c) Complaints against academic staff may be presented to the Chancellor as outlined in the University of Wisconsin Oshkosh Academic Staff Personnel Rules, Chapter Sixteen, Complaints.
(d) Complaints against classified staff may be presented to the Director of Equity & Affirmative Action or directly to the Chancellor.
For the most RECENT version of all policies please go to the Faculty & Academic Staff Handbook.