Personal tools
You are here: Home > Resources > Frequently Asked Questions

Frequently Asked Questions

 (Walk-In Questions)

Where do I take Placement tests?


Placement testing takes place at Testing Services in Polk Library room 4. You can stop by in person or call (920) 424-1432 for more information.

How far in advance should I schedule an advising appointment?

For fall or spring registration, you will want to set up an appointment with your advisor two weeks before your registration date.  Keep in mind that, prior to and during peek registration times, appointments become filled up quickly. Don’t put off scheduling an appointment or you may not be able to meet with an academic advisor until after your registration date.

If your question isn’t linked to course selection for a given semester, you will want to schedule an appointment as the need arises.

(Back to top of page)


Why can’t I drop my last class?

You cannot drop your last class online on Titan Web.  When dropping your last class, you are withdrawing from the University. To drop all of your classes, you need to contact Registrar's Office, 130 Dempsey Hall, (920) 424-3454.   They will help you to complete the paperwork to drop your last course. 

(Back to top of page)


How many credits can I take during the interim session?

3 credits is the norm for the three-week interim. However, with permission, a student may take up to 6 credits as long as total enrollment does not exceed 21 credits for the term. To do this, the student should see an academic advisor in the UARC, Student Success Center, Suite 202, for an application for permission to schedule for an overload for the interim session.

(Back to top of page)


How many credits can I take in the summer term?

During a summer term, a student may enroll in no more than 9 credits. If a student would like to take more than the maximum number of credits, he or she should see an academic advisor in the UARC, Student Success Center, Suite 202, for an application for permission to schedule for an overload for the summer term.


I want to know how long it will take me to graduate.

  • The best way to find out how long your degree will take is to set up an appointment with your academic advisor. Your academic advisor’s name should be located on the upper left-hand corner of your STAR.

  • Your academic advisor can work with you to estimate a potential date of graduation by using your STAR to evaluate what coursework you have done, what coursework you still need to complete and by creating a semester-by-semester plan to complete those obligations.

(Back to top of page)

What courses can I take at UW Oshkosh that will transfer to my next university?

  • To find out what classes will transfer to another University, you will need to contact that University and abide by their transfer credit policies. You will want to contact the transfer credit coordinator of that campus.

(Back to top of page)

Why can I not enroll in this class when it says that pre-requisites haven’t been met, and they have been?

  • In some instances, Titan Web may not be “reading” the prerequisites correctly, therefore, not allowing you to enroll in the course. You will need to bring your STAR to the UARC, Student Success Center, Suite 202, to see your academic advisor.  Your academic advisor can verify your eligibility for the course and sign an add card for you to register for that course.

(Back to top of page)


How do I know which semester classes are offered?

  • Students can find out which semester a class is being offer by looking in the bulletin, on planning sheets, TitanWeb or by calling the department that offers the course.

  • There is no guarantee that a class will be offered one spring or fall semester and that it would be offered again.  Many circumstance like budget and faculty availability determines availability of courses and how often it’s taught.

(Back to top of page)


My sample course plan says that I need English 316. Can I take any other Advanced Composition course?

  • The Advanced Composition course that may be required depends on the major and possible minor that you have chosen. Your STAR will have the specific advanced composition course that is required for your specific course of study. If you are unsure, please see an academic advisor, and he or she will help you verify which course(s) will meet that requirement.

(Back to top of page)


How do I access my STAR?

(Back to top of page)


How do I change something on my STAR?

  • To change something on your STAR, you need to meet with an academic advisor in the UARC, Student Success Center, Suite 202.

(Back to top of page)


Whom do I contact when my Titan Web password doesn’t work?

  • You want to contact the Academic Computing Help Desk at (920) 424-3020.

(Back to top of page)


Whom do I contact when I have a general question about Titan Web?

  • If your question involves logging on to Titan Web, you can talk to the Academic Computing Help Desk at (920) 424-3020.

  • If your question is in regard to navigating Titan Web, such as trying to add a class, view your schedule, etc., you need to contact the Registrar’s Office Titan Web Help Desk at (920) 424-3454.

(Back to top of page)


What are Foreign Language retroactive credits? Am I eligible to receive retroactive credits?

  • To receive retroactive credit for Foreign Language courses, two things must happen:
    • You must test into an upper level, foreign language course based upon your performance on the foreign language placement exam offered through UW Oshkosh Testing Services; and,
    • You then must earn a grade of “B” or better in an upper-level foreign language class. If you do so, you will be awarded retroactive foreign language credits. 
  • After you have received your grade, you may go to the Foreign Language department, located in Radford Hall 315, to complete the required form to receive your retroactive credit(s).
    • If you do not earn a “B” or better, but you passed the class, you have two options: you may repeat the course and earn a “B” or better, or move on and take the next level course and earn a “B” or better, and your retroactive credits will be applied.

(Back to top of page)


Where do I go to request an Appeal?



How do I apply for graduation?

  • The steps necessary to apply for graduation are found on the Registrar's website.

(Back to top of page)


What is the 165 credit policy and how will it affect me?

  • Undergraduate students need to be aware of a new policy mandated to all UW System schools by the Board of Regents.  Starting in the fall of 2004, Wisconsin resident undergraduate students who have earned 165 credits, or 30 credits more than the required credits needed for a degree program, whichever is greater, will be charged a surcharge.

  • The surcharge on credits beyond this limit is equal to 100 percent of the regular resident tuition. The surcharge will be applied to students in the semester following the one in which they reach the earned credit limit.

  • This policy covers all Wisconsin resident undergraduate students pursuing their first bachelor's degree, including students pursuing a double major.  Minnesota residents and non-residents, graduate, post-baccalaureate, and non-degree students are not affected. 

  • This policy applies to all credits earned at UW System campuses and Wisconsin Technical College System transfer credits accepted toward a degree.  Retroactive, AP, military and other college transfer credits do not count toward the total.

  • Any questions regarding academic advising or preparing an academic plan should be directed to the Undergraduate Advising Resource Center.  Questions regarding policy implementation should be directed to the Registrar, Lisa Danielson, at 424-3007.

(Back to top of page)


What GPA do I need to be off probation?

  • A student needs to earn a cumulative Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 to be in good standing with the University. To find out what individual semester GPA you need to earn to get off probation, you can use one of the GPA Calculators. If you still have questions or concerns, please see an academic advisor in the UARC, Student Success Center, Suite 202, (920) 424-1268.

(Back to top of page)


 How can I get a copy of my transcripts?

  • To order an official copy of your transcript, please visit the Registrar's website or stop by the transcript window in the Registrar’s Office, located in 130 Dempsey Hall .

  • You also can obtain an unofficial copy of your transcript from Titan Web.

(Back to top of page)

How does the new academic amnesty policy work?

  • This policy is intended to enable transfer, re-entry or transfer re-entry students to petition to exclude grades earned give or more years ago in the calculation of their official UW Oshkosh cumulative GPA.  The purpose of this policy is to establish an effective way to encourage capable mature students to return when they have achieved poorly during an earlier attempt at higher education.  The spirit of the policy is to make a fresh start possible for these students. 

    • If a student is not eligible for admission to the university with her/his incoming GPA, the student may make a formal written application to an Admissions Standard Consideration Team (ASCT) to invoke Academic Amnesty. The student is asked to provide reasons for previous performance and information about current education Plans.   The ASCT will assess the student's record and application and consult with the student to determine the best course of action.

    • Students who are admissible to the university are eligible to apply for application of this policy no later than the end of their first semester at UW Oshkosh.

    • A student can apply for and receive Academic Amnesty only once.

    • If Academic Amnesty is granted, all courses taken during an identified academic term(s) five years before admission/readmission will continue to appeal on student’s record.  If multiple terms are included in the granting of the Academic Amnesty, the terms must be continuous.

    • Academic Amnesty applies to admission to the university, not to particular program. The colleges retain ultimate authority to determine admission to the college.

    • All other University policies (for example, Honors and Dean’s Lists) remain in effect and are not changed by the Academic Amnesty policy.

  • This policy does not apply to graduate programs.

  • Continuing UW Oshkosh students are not eligible to apply for academic amnesty of earlier grades.  Currently enrolled students who wish to apply for the exclusion of grades earned five or more years earlier will have up to 2 semesters after the effective date of the implementation of the Academic Amnesty Proposal to be considered.  This is a one-time-only opportunity for students enrolled at the time of the implementation of this proposal.

  • For more information, visit the Registrar's website.

(Back to top of page)

What if I want to take more than 21 credits during a term?

  • Students should meet with an academic advisor in the UARC, Student Success Center, Suite 202, to fill out a “Credit Overload Request Form”.   Appeals of up to 21 credits in the 14 weeks or 4 credits in the 3-week interim may be considered provided:

    • Your cumulative GPA is greater than 3.0.

    • There are extraordinary circumstances.

    • You do not have any incompletes.

    • You do not have numerous drops on your record.

    • You’ve earned grades in at least 16 credits on campus.

Document Actions
by Lantta, Melissa M last modified Nov 30, 2011 04:18 PM
Undergraduate Advising Resources Center       Student Success Center, Suite 202       (920) 424-1268