Personal tools
You are here: Home > Probation/Suspension

Academic Standing Process

How I Got From Probation to Graduation


How I Got From Probation to Graduation (condensed classroom version)

 For closed captioning on either video, click on the "CC" box on the bottom right of the video.

Good Academic Standing

Students are expected to meet the following criteria for good academic standing:

1.  Maintain a minimum of 2.0 official (UWO) grade point average (Transfer credits are not part of this calculation)

2.  Earn a minimum of 1.0 term grade point average


Probation and Suspension Policy

To read the University's Probation and Suspension Policy, click here



Students are placed on probation or suspension following the 14-week term when they fail to satisfy the Good Standing Requirements.


Academic Standing Codes and Meaning

To read the Registrar's complete Academic Standing Levels (Not in Good Standing), click here

Cause of Standing: Academic Standing
Cumulative GPA drops below a 2.00 for 1 term Probation 1
Cumulative GPA drops below a 2.00 for 2 consecutive terms Probation 2
After suspension appeal is approved Probation 3
Term GPA drops below a 1.00 for 1 term Suspension 1
Cumulative GPA drops below a 2.00 for 3 consecutive terms Suspension 2
Failed to obtain a Good Standing after re/entered from suspension Suspension 5
Failed to obtain a Good Standing after suspension appeal approved. Suspension 6



If you are a student who is on academic probation (Probation 1, Probation 2, or Probation 3), please click here for more information.


Suspension and the Appeal Process

If you are a student who is on academic suspension (Suspension 1, Suspension 2, Suspension 5, or Suspension 6), please click here for more information.



 There are a number of resources on campus that can assist you.  Please click here to view a list of campus resources.


Situations that May Impact Academic Standing

What if I'm enrolled in an interim course and the grade earned in its warrants a change in academic standing?

  • You will be notified of this change after the end of interim

I received a grade change or completed a late drop or term withdrawal that improved my academic standing. What do I do?

  • You must email to have your academic standing changed. This will not change automatically.

I feel that external forces contributed to my academic problems. What can I do?

  • If you believe your academic performance was affected by extenuating circumstances, and you can provide appropriate documentation, you may choose to pursue a term withdrawal (withdrawing from all classes for the current semester) by contacting the Dean of Students Office, 125 Dempsey Hall, 424-3100.

  • Extenuating circumstances are situations in which external factors interfered with the ability to perform well academically through no fault of the student. Examples include death of an immediate family member, auto accident, or medical reasons such as severe illness or emotional trauma.

I feel that I need assistance working through personal circumstances that contributed to my academic performance. Where can I go for help?

  • You are encouraged to schedule a free and confidential appointment with a counselor in the University Counseling Center, 240 Student Success Center, 424-2061, or a personal counselor of your choice.

The University's faculty and staff encourage you to utilize the number of outstanding resources available to support your academic endeavors. Please remember; however, that academic success is ultimately your responsibility.


Steps to Take Now to Return to the University after the Suspension

  • Get in touch with any of the offices or services at the University that you need to resolve the suspension and get back on track academically.  In particular, contact your academic advisor for advice on how to best approach your suspension and alter your current status.
  • Complete any incompletes.  Remember suspension means that your UW Oshkosh GPA is unsatisfactory.  Therefore, completing an incomplete course could raise your overall GPA and, thus change your academic standing.  You will need to email if you complete an incomplete and your grade point average is impacted by this change.
  • Perform well in your interim course or consider taking an interim course.  Receiving a good grade in the interim class could help you meet the Good Standing Requirements and, thus, help you return to the University.  Talk to your academic advisor about your options.
  • Appeal the suspension.  If you believe that you were unable to fulfill the Good Standing Requirements due to circumstances beyond your control, then you should file an appeal. 


Re-entry from Suspension

When can I return to the university if my appeal was denied or I didn’t submit an appeal?

  • University policy states that suspended students may not attend the University for at least one fall or spring semester and one summer session.
  • A student may appeal to return after that time by completing a re-entry application and a suspension appeal from.  Forms can be found online and must be submitted by July 15 for fall or December 15 for spring.
  • It is recommended to complete coursework at another institution during the time of suspension.  Please note; however, that transfer grades will not be calculated in the official GPA; the transfer grades policy is online.
  • In addition, suspended students may enroll as a special student (non-degree seeking) in no more than six credits of coursework during a UW Oshkosh summer semester.

Why does the college care if my GPA is below 2.0?

There are two reasons the college cares:

• Students must have a UW Oshkosh GPA of at least 2.0 to be eligible for graduation (some majors require a higher than a 2.0 GPA for graduation). Additionally, students who consistently achieve a low GPA are most likely behind in graduation requirements. Allowing students to incur more debt while continually achieving poor results can be damaging to the student’s academic and financial record.  

• Upholding the academic integrity and standards of the college.

Additional Questions?

If you have more questions about your academic standing or the appeals process, please email or call 920.424-3454 and ask to speak with Julie Wilkinson.




Document Actions
by Lantta, Melissa M last modified Mar 10, 2016 12:52 PM
Undergraduate Advising Resources Center       Student Success Center, Suite 202       (920) 424-1268