How Can I Investigate My Future Career?
Career Services, located in the Student Success Center, Suite 125, can help you learn what career options are associated with the majors that interest you. In addition to helping with job searches, resume and cover letter development, and interviewing techniques, Career Services can connect you with people in those fields for informational interviews and job shadowing experiences.
The Counseling Center, located in the Student Success Center, Suite 202, offers an array of services for deciding students including one-on-one counseling, a variety of in-depth career and self and a career library which contains numerous books, computer programs and other resources students can use to collect information about thousands of careers.
Talk to your instructor! Go to office hours and find out about the major by learning what your instructor’s interests and skills led him/her to this major.
This website provides valuable assistance to help you make a decision on a future career. The Occupational Outlook Handbook provides information on:
- the training and education needed
- expected job prospects
- what workers do on the job
- working conditions
This document will provide you with an extensive list of other websites you may want to explore when deciding on your major and/or career.
Explore more about yourself while taking part in an amazing experience by studying abroad. Many opportunities are available without having to know a foreign language. Go for a semester, interim, or summer!
A convenient website that helps you connect majors with careers. For each major that interests you, choose either the PDF or HTML version to find an outline of common career areas, typical employers, and strategies designed to maximize career opportunities. Choose Links to find a list of websites that provide information about listed majors and related careers.
The WISCareers website can help you explore career options.
Here’s how to use it:
- Take an assessment(s) to see how your interests and skills match up with potential careers
- Meet with an advisor in the UARC to review your results and learn about majors related to careers of interest
- Read the detailed information provided for all of the occupations on your list; education required, pros and cons, salary ranges, job outlook, and where you can expect to work
- Save information you want to come back to in your “locker”
Registration Code: osh-c427