Placement Testing Information
Online registration is now available. The following information is important to know when scheduling your placement tests. Please read carefully, and then follow the link at the bottom of the page to register for your placement tests.
Your placement test scores will be used to place you in appropriate level college courses.
You are required to take the English and math placement tests unless you have completed a transferable college English composition course and/or math course. Review transferable credits at www.wisconsin.edu/transfer using the "Credit Transfer Wizard"
You may take your tests at any of the participating locations throughout Wisconsin. The scores will be available to all UW System schools.
You will need to complete your English and math placement tests at least two weeks prior to your assigned Odyssey day. Testing as early as possible will allow ample time for your academic adviser to receive your test scores before you attend Odyssey in May or June and register for fall classes.
Foreign language placement testing is optional. Please review the section below that discusses foreign language placement testing for further information.
On your test day, students will be required to show a high school ID or a government issued photo identification document, such as a driver's license, state-issued ID or passport. Information on how to obtain a Wisconsin ID card can be found here.
Sample placement test questions can be found here.
Testing Dates and Odyssey
There are a limited number of testing dates available at various UW System campuses. You may test at any location, which may require some travel.
Things to keep in mind:
Students attending Odyssey in May should test by May 5. Students attending Odyssey in May who have not taken placement tests should follow Last Minute Option #1 and #2 in the chart below.
Students attending Odyssey in June should test by June 3.
Failure to complete tests two weeks prior to your Odyssey day may require you to change your Odyssey day to a later date.
Placement tests may not be taken on your Odyssey day.
You do not receive test results prior to your Odyssey date. Your academic adviser will share the results and interpretation of your scores at Odyssey.
Register for Placement Tests Online
Register early for the best selection of testing dates at the UW System Regional Placement Testing Program website.
- This website lists test dates and locations.
- You may test at any location listed.
- When you register online, you will receive immediate confirmation via email of your selected date and location.
- No confirmation letters are mailed. Print or write down the confirmation information when you register so you have testing location, parking information and directions available on the day of your tests.
- If you need special accommodations for taking your placement tests due to a disability, please do not use the online registration system to sign up for testing and follow the instructions below under Special Accommodations.
- Two test options are available: Paper-and-Pencil or Computer-Based. Please see the chart below for more information.
|Computer-Based Regional Testing||
|Last Minute Option #1||
|Last Minute Option #2||
|| Cost will vary
Foreign Language Placement Testing (Optional)
To take the foreign language placement test in French, German or Spanish, you must have two or more years' experience in the language in which you wish to test.
There is a possibility to earn retroactive credits
by taking the UW Oshkosh foreign language course you test into and
earning a grade of "B" or better in that course. Retroactive credit for
foreign language is a topic that will be explained further to you on
your Odyssey day.
If you need special accommodations for taking your placement tests due to a disability, please do not use the online registration system to sign up for testing.
Instead, have a teacher, high school counselor or principal who has the professional expertise to describe the testing accommodations you will need, submit a letter on your high school letter head to:Tim O'Conner
1025 W Johnson St.
Madison, WI 53706
Please do not send an IEP.
Note: The letter must include:
- Your full name
- Your address and phone number
- The site at which you wish to take the placement tests
- The name of the UW campus you plan to attend in the fall of 2015
- Description of testing accommodations needed
Earning College Credit While in High School?
Register for your Regional Placement Tests
Go to www.testing.wisc.edu for:
- Placement testing dates and locations
- Registration deadlines
- Confirmation of your registration (remember to print this!)
- Contact information for all test sites
- Directions to testing sites
- Parking information
- Changing your test date
- Answers to frequently asked questions
- Viewing sample test questions
Questions or concerns?
If you have questions or concerns that you did not find answers to on the website, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or contact one of the following admissions staff members: