Windows Operating System Version
How to find the version of Windows your computer is running.
There are several ways to determine the OS version on a Windows based computer.
- The easiest is:
- Right-click on the My Computer icon on the desktop.
- Choose Properties.
- This same screen can be found by going to Start => Settings => Control Panel (or in XP Start => Control Panel) and open up the System icon.
- Your system version will be displayed in the window that appears.
- If your computer is running Windows NT, 2000 or XP:
- Click on Start.
- Select Run.
- In the Open field, type winver and click OK.
- This will bring up a dialog box with the Windows version and service pack information.
- For more detailed information most Windows computers come with a system information tool. If available it can be found under Start => Programs => Accessories => System tools =>System Information . This can get exact version numbers for Windows and other programs.